Friday, October 12, 2018

A Clear Sightline (Friday Devotional)



The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

- Psalm 28:7


When I got on I-35 Tuesday afternoon, I knew I was in for a rough drive. The forecast predicted a 100% chance of thunderstorms within the hour, which the radar confirmed when I pulled it up. And even without the help from the professionals at Weather.com, all I had to do was look up at the dark clouds looming over me to see that a storm was coming.

Sure enough, within 5 minutes thunder was booming and my windshield was being battered by rain. Even on their fastest setting, my wipers’ desperate attempts to keep the windshield clear were laughable. I maneuvered around several meek drivers and got into the fast lane, hoping I might be able to outrun the storm if I kicked it into high gear. But as the rain got heavier, I knew that plan wasn’t going to pay off, and finally had to give up, moving my foot over to the brake pedal. For the next half hour, I and everyone around me went about 50 mph below the speed limit—unable to see clearly, our only option was to slow down.

That simple, commonsense driving principle is one that can be applied spiritually too. Sometimes in life a goal or dream can become so all-consuming that, before you know it, you’ve lost track of where God fits into your plans. Where He was once at the center of everything you did, now He doesn’t even seem to be on the periphery. Filled with ambition, your view of God is obstructed by your own plans.

When that happens, the flesh cries out to slam your foot on the gas, to simply outrun your uncertainty. But as satisfying as that may feel for a moment, it’s not a sustainable course—you’re just begging to crash and burn. The truth is, when your plans take you somewhere you can’t see God, it’s time to slow down.

In Psalm 28, David came to God in prayer, confessing that he didn’t know where he would be without his Lord. He understood God as more than just a crutch, but as his “strength and shield,” the entire reason for his success. For David, a victory achieved apart from God would be no victory at all.

We ought to have the same attitude toward God as what David described. No plan, goal, or dream is worth pursuing if it is outside God’s will, because nothing you accomplish alone can compare to what you can do with Him. So the next time you find the vision for your life becoming tunnel vision, crowding out even your Lord, remember this: better to walk with God then crash without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment