Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Special Ingredients (Friday Devotional)


Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God.

- Colossians 3:14-16

For most of my adult life, I’ve considered a sandwich from home to be a sort of lunchtime defeat. If I was eating a sandwich for lunch, it meant I didn’t have enough money to eat out, didn’t have any decent leftovers in the fridge, or didn’t have the time or the creativity to make something better. A sandwich at lunch was something I ate with the enthusiasm of a child doing her homework.

So when Lindsey told me we were going to have sandwiches for lunch this past Saturday, my face fell. But I tried to hide my disappointment and sat down at the table to eat. After just one bite, my face broke out in a surprised smile. “This is good,” I said. “What’s in this?” Lindsey thought for a second and started listing off ingredients: turkey, pepperoni, salami, and Swiss cheese, all on sourdough bread. It was then that I realized the disconnect between the sandwiches I had avoided eating for years and the one she’d put in front of me. When I made sandwiches, I bought the cheapest loaf of bread, slapped two pieces of turkey on it, and called it a day. The reason my sandwiches had been so disappointing was because my ingredients were too.

Life can be like lunch in that regard: sometimes we’re dissatisfied with the whole because we’re working with unsatisfactory ingredients. We traffic in gossip and backbiting, then wonder why we’re lonely. We tell white lies and cut corners and then we’re outraged that we’re not respected. We cling to bad habits then despair that our lives seem stuck in neutral.

Scripture reminds us that a life of discipleship is not as simple as flipping a switch; it means repenting of what is sinful and putting on what is Christlike. In Colossians 3, Paul encourages believers to cast aside the sins which drive us and to replace them with God’s Word, with spiritual wisdom, and with worship. It is by making these changes, by replacing the unhealthy with the holy, that we will see our lives line up with God’s will. God wants you to have life, and have it abundantly—what “spiritual ingredients” are you filling your life with?

No comments:

Post a Comment