Friday, July 8, 2022

Go Serve (Friday Devotional)

 


“Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”

- Matthew 28:19-20a

By the time you’re reading this, I will have completed a mission trip to Austin serving alongside 8 of the students in our youth group and 2 other adults. Over the course of the week, we did everything from yard work to cleaning to organizing to playing outside with the kids at the Boys and Girls Club of Georgetown, all in the name of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ in word and deed.

Before leaving for the trip, I needed to explain to my kids where I was going and why I’d be away from home all week. My explanation was pretty simple: I was going to spend the time telling people in Austin about Jesus, and then I’d come back on Friday. The kids seemed to accept this explanation at first, but then Andrew had a follow-up question that left me smiling: “but Daddy, what if the people want to hear about Jesus on Saturday?”

I love that response, because it speaks to the reality of the mission Christ has given us: it doesn’t stop until we do. Things like mission trips and camps and revivals are great for reigniting our faith and inspiring us to serve, but they ought to be regarded as a beginning, not an end. Completing a mission trip is not the same thing as completing our mission.

When Jesus gave us the Great Commission to go and make disciples everywhere, he didn’t give us a timetable. He didn’t say to share the gospel one week per year, or only on Sundays, or only when it’s a church-sponsored outing. The command was for all of us to go everywhere at all times with the Word of God, sharing it with sermons and service alike.

Our students’ mission trip came to an end today, but our mission continues. Join us, won’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment