Friday, February 12, 2021

Watching the Whole Time (Friday Devotional)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

- Hebrews 12:2

 When I was taking Andrew to his swim class last week, we were running through the expectations for that day’s lesson: have fun, listen to your teacher, don’t jump in the pool until the teacher says to do so, etc. But this time, Andrew had his own expectation for me: “Daddy, this week can you watch me the whole time instead of looking at your phone?”

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark.

I’ve felt convicted about that remark ever since he made it, striving to “be where my feet are,” to be mentally present and not just physically present when I’m with Lindsey and the kids. Andrew’s simple request was the shock to the system I needed to remind me what’s most worthy of my attention at any given moment.

Scripture encourages us to give that same kind of focus to God in a world full of distractions. Every day you are inundated with things that crave your time, your energy, your money, and your adoration. To give them those things, to lay yourself down at the altar of excess, is to fall prey to idolatry.

Disciples of Jesus are called to fix our eyes on him, determinedly focusing on his will instead of our own, his plan instead of someone else’s, his glory instead of the idols’. Because as tempting as momentary distractions are, Jesus is where joy is found. To know that joy, watch him the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment