Friday, March 19, 2021

Sin's Stench (Friday Devotional)

 

Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

- 2 Timothy 2:22

Judging only by sight, the skunk is a beautiful animal. Roughly the size of a cat, it’s neither big enough to be intimidating nor so small that you miss its features. Its badger-like face always seems to give it an air of mischief. Its jet-black fur juxtaposes brilliantly against the white stripes which run along its back. And its fluffy tail provides just a hint of vanity to complete the picture.

But of course, when you think about skunks, you don’t think about their looks. That’s because skunks’ most notable feature is not their white stripes or their dark eyes—it’s the noxious spray they release when threatened, an odor so overpowering that it can be smelled more than three miles downwind and can linger for up to three weeks if not dealt with immediately. That spray is so powerful and so memorable that even those who have never experienced it up close know to take it seriously.

So when I spotted a skunk from across the street a few days ago, I didn’t approach it to take a closer look, nor did I try to defend myself from its potential threat by throwing a rock at it. Instead, I did the only sensible thing in that situation: I stayed on the path where I was running and I picked up the pace. I got away as fast as I could.

When the Bible describes temptation, it does so in a way that’s similar to how you might describe a skunk. Sin often appears attractive on the outside; it beckons you over to get a closer look. But when you get too close, it has a way of overpowering you. Sin is far more dangerous than it appears at first glance.

So Scripture calls believers to do exactly what I did the other day when I saw that skunk: stay on the narrow way and run. Instead of changing course in the name of curiosity or conflict, pursue what is good and holy. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and continue moving toward him, fleeing from the temptations that are trying to draw you away.

This world is full of temptations, and their allure is powerful, but so too is their threat. So guided by the Spirit, may you be wary of sin’s power and directed by the Lord’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment