Friday, June 11, 2021

Jesus Can Come (Friday Devotional)

 

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but it is Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

- Galatians 2:19-20

A few days ago, my son Andrew was playing with his toy nativity set, arranging all the animals just so and maybe adding a few from other toy sets (bet you didn’t know there was a panda sitting next to Mary in the stable!) After a few minutes, he decided he was done and asked if I would follow him to his bedroom and read a book to him. I agreed and we started to walk that way, only for him to stop suddenly. I asked if he’d changed his mind, and he shook his head and bent down to his nativity set. “No, I still want to read. But I want my Jesus to come with me.”

That’s a statement that I think all believers ought to be able to endorse for any area of life:

“I’m going to work. But I want Jesus to come with me.”

”I’m going for a walk. But I want Jesus to come with me.”

“I’m going to see friends. But I want Jesus to come with me.

Truthfully, for the Christian there is no place we go where we are truly alone, no place where the Lord is absent. By faith, Christ lives in us, and our lives are meant to bear witness to his grace and love. By faith, the Holy Spirit walks with us as a guide and friend, empowering us to carry out God’s will in this world.

Neither pride nor discouragement can change the truth of Jesus’s promise: he is with us always, even to the end of the age. So as you go about your day, I hope you’ll make Andrew’s simple statement a personal reminder: wherever you go, Jesus will come with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment