Thursday, October 14, 2021

What's On Your Mind? (Friday Devotional)

 


Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.

Colossians 3:1-3

There are certain things in life I just don’t think about much, if at all. For example, I haven’t thought about trigonometry since high school. I don’t spend a lot of time pondering Nigerian politics. My mind rarely turns to thoughts of Major League Lacrosse. It’s not necessarily that these things are unimportant—they just don’t have any relevance to me.

Then there are those things I think about at certain designated moments of the day. For example, I think about current events when I open the newspaper every morning, then largely move on to other things once I’ve finished reading. I think about whatever TV show I’m watching while I’m watching it, but don’t do much reflecting on it afterwards. I focus on my morning run while I’m running, but not again until the next morning. These are all things worthy of my attention, but only for a few chosen moments of the day.

And finally, there are those things which are such a part of my being, so omnipresent in my life, that they never fully leave my thoughts. My dreams. My kids. My wife. They are, as the song says, always on my mind.

The Bible is clear that we are called to set our minds on the things of God, to turn our attention to what is holy, to fix our eyes on Jesus. So the question is simple: when are you thinking about the Lord? Rarely? Occasionally? Or always?

Is God on your mind today?

No comments:

Post a Comment