Friday, August 3, 2018

A Better Way (Friday Devotional)



Thus says God, the Lord, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people upon it and spirit to those who walk in it: I am the Lord, I have called you in righteousness, I have taken you by the hand and kept you; I have given you as a covenant to the people, a light to the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness. I am the Lord, that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to idols. See, the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare; before they spring forth, I tell you of them.

- Isaiah 42:5-9

When Lindsey and I got married, our first apartment didn’t have a dishwasher, so I typically started every morning washing the previous night’s dishes by hand. While annoying at first, I quickly came to relish the activity as a quiet, almost therapeutic way to begin the day. So when a few years later we moved to another apartment, one that had a dishwasher, I didn’t adjust immediately. Just like I’d been doing at the old place, I started the first few mornings in our new home with soap and sponge in hand, going after the dirty dishes exactly as I had before. Lindsey let this go on for a few days, but finally spoke up. “I know you’re used to starting the day this way,” she said, “but there’s a better way now.”

That’s a message that the prophet Isaiah delivered to Israel as he announced the impending arrival of the Messiah. For a people in exile, hope was in short supply, so they were desperate for God to save them as He had in the past. They waited for Him to send a prophet whose word would compel the people to obey the Law, or a priest who would sanctify the people through the Temple, or a king who would lead them to victory and reign with justice. God had saved them with people like this in the past—people like Moses and Joshua, Deborah and Samuel, David and Josiah, Elijah and Hilkiah. Surely he would do so again.

But in Isaiah 42, the prophet announces that the time has come for a better way: “the former things have come to pass, and new things I now declare.” Instead of sending His word through a prophet, this time God would send the Word made flesh. Instead of having a priest offer up daily sacrifices, God would now have the Great High Priest make the ultimate sacrifice once and for all. Instead of sending another monarch in a long line, now God was going to send the King of Kings. The old paradigm was gone, and Israel could now place their hope in a Messiah who would be prophet, priest, and king.

As Christians, we believe that Jesus of Nazareth was and is that Messiah, and that by his death and resurrection we have hope. But when our lives and our world veer off course, when we find ourselves identifying with exiled Israel, we can’t seem to help returning to the old way. We raptly listen to any charming speaker with a pulpit, hoping he’ll be the prophet who saves us. We wait with bated breath for encouragement from the celebrity who seems so full of wisdom and inspiration, hoping she’ll be the priest who can make us holy. We throw in our lot with politicians, hoping they will rescue us from the powerful forces at our doorstep.

What we must remember is that our hope should not rest with these fallible, human figures—as the hymn says, our “hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.” Tempting as it is to look for saviors in our midst, the one true Savior has already come, and on the cross he accomplished what no one else could. Even when circumstances are bleak, Jesus is Lord, and his empty tomb proclaims that no force can overcome him. So don’t allow hopelessness to seep into your life or for cynicism to make you think that God has forgotten you. Exile has ended—and in Christ, we are invited to a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment