Friday, August 10, 2018

The Virtue of Boredom (Friday Devotional)



For thus said the Lord God, the Holy One of Israel:In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength. But you refused…”

- Isaiah 30:15

It had been a great morning at the farmer’s market to that point, but my family and I had underestimated how hungry we would be, so I ran across the street to buy another breakfast burrito. I placed my order at the taco truck, took my receipt, and stepped off to the side to wait. Knowing it would be at least ten minutes before the food was ready, I reached into my pocket to pull out my phone, only to realize that I had left it with my family across the street. So silently I stood there waiting, with nothing to do but watch people make their way through the farmer’s market.

And as the minutes ticked by, something dawned on me: I was bored…and startlingly, I couldn’t remember the last time that had happened. After all, we now live in a world where you never have to be bored. If you want social interaction, you can send a text, make a phone call, send a message on GroupMe or WhatsApp, or write on somebody’s Facebook wall. If you want to learn something, you can check out the latest up-to-the-minute news on Twitter, read an article from your favorite online publication, or listen to the podcast of your choice. And if you just want some passive entertainment, then YouTube, Netflix, and Hulu are always there for you. Thanks to the Internet, smartphones, social media, and a general cultural drift toward constant activity, we now live in a world where we expect to be stimulated every waking hour of the day, or at least to have the option.

But with all that stimulation comes a consequence: we begin to forget how to rest. We are encouraged in Psalm 46:10 to “be still and know that I am God,” but for those of who reach for our phones not out of need but compulsion, I wonder if we still know how to do that. From the first chapter of the Bible to the giving of the Ten Commandments to the earthly ministry of Jesus, the Bible is abundantly clear about the importance of rest, of stepping away from the cares and the busyness and the distractions of life in order to reconnect with God. “In returning and rest you shall be saved,” says the prophet in Isaiah 30:15, “In quietness and in trust shall be your strength.”

That verse ends ominously as it bleeds into the next: “But you refused…” Since the days of the Old Testament—probably since Adam and Eve’s first week out of the garden—we have been putting off rest, avoiding quiet and stillness whenever we can. But the Bible is clear—it is in rest, in those quiet moments when activities cease and you are left without anything to do but think and pray, that you are best able to hear God’s voice. So spend some time today away from a screen, away from your desk, away from the tools of your trade, even if only for a few minutes, and just be still enough to listen for God. You may get bored…but maybe that’s not such a bad thing. After all, when you’re not doing anything, it’s a lot easier to pay attention to what God is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment